Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) Secretary Silvestre Bello III on Friday, June 29, said he would go to Boracay Island in Malay, Aklan to find out why the huge fund to help workers displaced by the island’s six-month closure was not reaching the majority of its beneficiaries.
In an interview with dzRH’s Henry Uri, Bello said would investigate whether there were problems in releasing the nearly half-a-billion-peso aid that President Rodrigo Duterte allocated for the workers because of the estimated 19,000 beneficiaries, only more than 3,000 had so far availed the fund.
“Binigyan kami ni Pangulong Duterte ng halos kalahating bilyon para tulungan ‘yong mga na-displace na workers, nawalan ng trabaho d’yan sa Boracay. Ngayon, s’yempre gumawa kami ng paraan para maibigay sa kanila. gumawa kami ng proseso. At ang expected namin na benepisyaryo…ay mga labing siyam na libo pero ang nagre-register palang ay sobra three thousand lang eh,” the DOLE chief said.
He said he wanted to verify reports that workers were finding it hard to request for aid because there were many requirements being asked from them.
“Kaya nga sabi ko, pupunta ko do’n…kung bakit matumal nga. Eh nababalitaan ko do’n medyo maraming requirements,” said Bello.
“Maliwanag naman….na ikaw ay nawalan ng trabaho sa pagsasara ng Boracay hanggang October, eh kwalipikado ka na mabigyan ka ng tulong. Ke abogado ka o hindi, ang mahalaga, nawalan ka ng…hanapbuhay dahil sa pagsasara ng Boracay,” he said.
[It’s clear that you became jobless because of Boracay’s closure until October thus you are qualified to accept financial aid. It doesn’t matter if you’re lawyer or not, the important thing is you lost your source of livelihood because of Boracay’s closure.]
“Sayang, hindi nakakarating sa mga tao [It’s sad that the fund does not reach the people],” he said, adding that a center was established in Malay town to process the aid that should be given to Boracay workers.