Top Stories

Prez Duterte threatens to sack Philhealth execs if they will not submit resignations

Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth)

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte asked the acting chief and board of directors of the Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth) on Monday, June 10 to submit their resignations following the Php 154-billion anomaly on the dialysis of non-existent or dead patients.

The announcement was made by his former aide and senator-elect Christoher ‘Bong’ Go. He then clarified that Duterte still believes in “the slightest doubt about the integrity and honesty of Roy Ferrer,” the acting operations officer of the agency.

“The President told me he was very dismayed by what happened. The President won’t allow this, so there must be accountability and the issue of command responsibility. The President really wants a revamp,” Go said. He revealed that many of the PhilHealth officials, most are career executives, will be vacant until further notice from Malacañang.

“All persons involved in the alleged fraud will be prosecuted and face accountability. They shall reap the harshest penalty imposed by law. Nothing can shield them from prosecution and punishment,” Duterte said as he ordered the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to investigate the issue of the said agency.

On Saturday, Duterte, who is currently in Davao City, said that he will make an announcement once he returns to Manila. He also added that he will ‘reorganize’ and ‘change’ their entity and install more systems of accounting and accountability.

READ: Prez Duterte eyes on reshuffling PhilHealth management over ‘ghost dialysis’ scandal

Last week, a former employee of WellMed Dialysis Center in Quezon City revealed about the ‘ghost dialysis’ scheme inside in order to take amounts of money from the budget of the government health insurance firm. Acting PhilHealth president and chief executive officer Roy Ferrer said that they filed 28 counts of administrative cases against WellMed Dialysis and Laboratory Center.

However, Ferrer denied the claims of Php 154 billion overpayments saying that those are just “efficiency gains. ”

READ: 28 administrative cases filed against dialysis center for ghost treatments – Philhealth

On the other hand, the Department of Health (DOH) Secretary Francisco Duque III dares the PhilHealth to release to the public the names of health care providers facing investigation “without rendering any judgment.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*