President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday told the government’s security force not to “respond” to United Nations (UN) rapporteurs who would come to the country and investigate the alleged violation of human rights caused by the administration war on drugs.
Speaking at the three-day ceremony of the National Special Weapon and Tactics (SWAT) Challenge in Davao City, Duterte instructed members of the Philippine National Police and the Armed Forces of the Philippines to remain mum on the matter given that the UN rapporteurs do not know the pandemic caused by drugs in the country.
“So I’d like to announce. Ulitin ko, inannounce ko na yan noon eh, na back up ko kayo. And pagdating ng human rights o sino mang rapporteur diyan, ang order ko sa inyo — Do not answer. Do not bother.
“Why would we be answering – Bakit sino sila? And who are you to interfere in the way I would run my country? You know very well that we are being swallowed by drugs,” Duterte echoed.
Previously, Foreign Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said that the Philippines’ will not welcome back UN rapporteur Agnes Callamard to conduct a probe in the country due to her “bias” stance against the government.
Meanwhile, the International Criminal Court (ICC) said that it has begun its preliminary examination against the administration’s supposed bloody war on drugs which the Commission on Human Rights claimed to have killed over 3,800 drugs users and pushers.