President Rodrigo Duterte personally offered China to set up a third telecommunications operator in the Philippines during his bilateral meeting with Chinese Premier Li Keqiang last week.
On a Palace briefing on Monday, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said that the President intends to put an end to the telecom “duopoly” in the country by allowing China to invest in the Philippines telecom industry.
“So the good news is, consumers can look forward now to better telecommunications, not just in terms of cellular technology but also in terms of internet speed as well as access. This is the latest instance of the President proving that he has the political will to do what is necessary to benefit the Filipino people,” said Roque.
According to Akamai’s fourth-quarter 2016 report “State of the Internet,” the Philippines ranked lowest on the average connection speed among surveyed Asia-Pacific countries at a speed of 4.5 megabits per second.
Last year, Duterte also warned the large telecom companies, PLDT Inc. and Globe Telecom Inc., to prepare for a greater competition given its supposed low performance.
Roque, however, said that Chinese telecom companies have yet to be identified.