Top Stories

Prez Duterte leaves 2018 elections decision to Congress

Philippines’ President Rodrigo Duterte (REUTERS/Dondi Tawatao)

Congress will decide on whether or not the Sangguniang Kabataan and the Barangay elections will push through this year.

During his speech in Davao City on Thursday, President Rodrigo Duterte said that he already ordered Special Assistant to the President Christopher “Bong” Go to mention his stand with Co

President Rodrigo Duterte will leave it to Congress to decide whether to suspend or continue the upcoming Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan (Youth Council) Elections.

During his speech in Davao City last March 1, the President revealed that he ordered Special Assistant to the President Christopher ‘Bong’ Go to deliver his stand to Congress.

Duterte explained that he will leave it to the hands of Congress to resolve the said issue since he might be accused of being a dictator if he insists that drug money will be used in the elections.

The President further added that the illegal drug trade is still alive in the Philippines, and warned that there will be ‘killings’ if the winning barangay officials use drug money.

“Kung manalo iyang mga barangay captains. backed up ng drug money, panibagong away iyan, panibagong patayan na naman ‘yan,” Duterte said.

Duterte reiterated that, while he will not intervene on the suspension or continuation of the election, he will not allow any government official to use his position in order to escalate crime and spread drugs.

The barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections was previously scheduled in October 2017 but was postponed for a year.

However, there are proposals in the House of Representatives that the barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections be moved to October 2018 or on May 2019,  same time as the midterm elections.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*