President Rodrigo Roa Duterte has safely landed back to Manila on Monday amid the on-going preparation of the government on the hazardous eruption of Taal Volcano following its phreatic explosion on Sunday.
In photos sent to media, Senator Christopher ‘Bong’ Go can be seen accompanying Duterte. He said that they were the first to land at the Manila airport which suspended arrivals and departures for safety concerns following the Taal eruption.
“Talagang sinadya naming dumaan talaga roon (mga lugar na apektado ng Taal eruption)… Kami ang unang pinababa sa NAIA,” Go said in a statement.
📸 Sen. Bong Go pic.twitter.com/L9yEP42OMb
— DZRH NEWS (@dzrhnews) January 13, 2020
According to presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo, the chief executive, who spent his weekend in Davao, is expected to attend an event with the Philippine Marine Corps in Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City this afternoon.
Panelo added that Duterte had “given instructions to undertake measures necessary to place the people within the perimeter of Taal out of the danger zone.”
The Malacañan urged the public to “continue to remain vigilant.”
More than 13,000 individuals were affected by the Taal Volcano’s phreatic explosion and had been evacuated in the CALABARZON area respectively, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said on Monday.
Earlier, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology said that Taal Volcano remains under Alert Level 4 amid the continuing “period of intense unrest.”