Bobby Ray Parks Jr. explained his reasons for refusing the invitation to play for the Philippine National Men’s Basketball team in the upcoming 2019 FIBA World Cup.
In a series of Twitter posts on Friday, June 21, Parks silenced the belief that he did not want to represent Philippines. He pointed out that he previously played for Alab Pilipinas, the representatives of the Philippines in the ASEAN Basketball League (ABL).
“For people to actually believe that I dont want to represent my country is crazy. Kaya nga nglaro sa Alab and went abroad carrying the (Philippine) flag anywhere and everywhere I go,” Parks said.
“First off I didn’t decline due to different priorities smh. Hiya oo pero priority hindi.” the Filipino – American player added.
Parks, who currently plays for the PBA team Blackwater Elite, mentioned the lose of their import Alex Stepheson, who returned to United States of America due to an e.coli infenction, as one of his reasons for declining the call.
The PBA rookie added that he feels thankful that the Elite allowed him to skip the 2019 PBA Philippine Cup in order to finish the campaign of Alab Pilipinas in the ninth ABL season.
“First conference ko palang sa PBA pinayagan na ako ng Blackwater tapusin ABL stint ko kaya sobrang thankful ako. Tapos ngayon wala kaming import tapos mawawala ako nahihiya lang din ako sa BWE,” Parks elaborated.
Parks also said that he respects the effort of the Gilas Pilipinas players who worked hard so that the country will secure a slot in the Basketball World Cup.
“Nahihiya din ako sa mga players na nglaro during the qualifiers and ngpakahirap to get our spot at the World Cup,” Parks said.
“Sino ba namang proud na pinoy na hindi mahihiya kasi each player who played are deserving of a spot. Rinerespeto ko sila at yung pinaghirapan nila,” he added.
The Gilas Pilipinas Men’s team has started their preparations for the 2019 FIBA World Cup that will run from August 31 to September 15 in China.