Malacañang on Sunday assured that there is no pork in the 2015 National Budget, contrary to claims of militant groups that the budget is still tainted with the graft-ridden pork barrel.
“We disagree that the pork barrel system remains in the 2015 NEP (National Expenditure Program) submitted by the administration to Congress,” deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said in a news report, on the eve of the first anniversary of the “Million People March” and National Heroes’ Day, where rallyists will stage protests against the pork barrel.
Last year, thousands gathered to Luneta to protest the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) after news of the P10 million pork scam broke out.
President Aquino immediately declared the graft-ridden fund already scrapped. The Supreme Court also ruled the PDAF as unconstitutional.
Monday’s National Heroes’ Day protest aims to collect 6 million signatures to support a proposal for the abolition of the pork barrel.
Valte said the way protesters defined the pork barrel was “so broad” that it covered even “funds that are obviously not pork, like the calamity and contingency funds.”