Metro Manila, except for Navotas City, will be imposing shorter curfew hours starting next week as the Philippines slowly ease restrictions in travel and business amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
On Monday, Metro Manila Council and Parañaque Mayor Edwin Olivarez said the new curfew hours, which will be from 12 AM to 4 AM.
Meanwhile, Navotas City’s curfew hours will remain at 8 PM to 5 AM as the area has bigger residential areas than industrial sites, according to Mayor Toby Tiangco.
Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) General Manager Jojo Garcia said the decision was discussed by the Metro Manila mayors and some officials of the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF).
Garcia added that curfew hours may be further adjusted in December to give way for devotees who will attend the traditional Simbang Gabi. He said curfew may be eased to 12 AM to 3 AM starting December 1 to be able to hold more masses to avoid crowding inside churches.
Just last week, President Rodrigo Duterte’s Cabinet urged local government units to shorten curfew hours to help revive the pandemic-hit economy.
Quarantine age restrictions
In a Palace briefing on Monday, Garcia also announced that Metro Manila Mayors decided to ease down age restrictions on persons who are allowed to go outside their homes. Only those aged 15 to 65 years old are allowed to roam freely in NCR.
“Ang in-approve po ng ating National Capital Region mayors so far is from 18 to 65 years old,” Garcia said.
Presidential and IATF spokesman Harry Roque earlier announced that people aged 15-65 are now allowed to go outside their homes.