Various local government units (LGUs) provided free transportation on Monday, Sept. 30, for commuters affected by the nationwide strike of transport groups Alliance of Concerned Transport Organizations, the Stop and Go Coalition, and Pinagkaisang Samahan ng mga Tsuper at Operators Nationwide (PISTON).
In Pasig City, the LGU deployed vehicles offering free rides at six different routes: Palengke – LRT-2 Santolan, Palengke – Crossing, San Joaquin – Crossing, SM City East Ortigas – Meralco, SM City East Ortigas – Palengke, and San Joaquin-Market Market, from 5:00AM-12:00NN and 1:00PM-8:00PM.
The Valenzuela City government also sent out 40 trucks and buses offering free rides along major thoroughfares including MacArthur Highway Malanday – Monumento, Malinta – Maysan Road – Paso de Blas – Bagbaguin, and M.H. Del Pilar Road.
Taguig City also deployed transport vehicles providing free rides from 6:00 AM – 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM – 7:00 PM in the following routes: Bagumbayan – Pasig, Tipas – Pasig, FTI – Market Market, Waterfun – Market Market, DOST – East Service Road, and Gate 3 – Market Market, and in the following pickup/dropoff points: Arca South, C5 Water Fun, Gate 3, Bagumbayan, DOST, Tipas/Napindan, Sta. Ana, Tenement, and Tanyag.
Caloocan City mayor Oscar ‘Oca’ Malapitan also announced that the city’s Public Safety and Traffic Management deployed vehicles that provided free trips from 5:00 AM- 12:00NN at the following routes: Kiko – Nova Bayan, Kiko – SM, Bagong Silang Phase 1 – Nova Bayan, Bagong Silang Phase 1 – SM Fairview, Almar – Nova Bayan, Vicas – Nova Bayan, and Tala Glorieta – SM Fairview.
Quezon City mayor Joy Belmonte and the city’s disaster risk reduction and management council also activated their Oplan Libreng Sakay in order to provide transport assistance to stranded commuters along Commonwealth Ave. (SM Fairview – Welcome Rotonda), in Brgy. Alicia (Munoz – Monumento), Brgy. Bahay Toro (Munoz – Mindanao Ave), Brgy. Batasan Hills (Ever Gotesco – San Mateo), Brgy. Bagumbahay (Hi-top kanto Aurora – Aurora Caltex), Brgy. Loyola Heights (Katipunan – MWSS), Brgy. Milagrosa (J.P Rizal – Cubao Araneta), Brgy. Pansol (Balara Gate – Katipunan), Brgy. San Roque (Admin – 15th ave. Murphy Market), Brgy. Doña Aurora (Cordillera E. Rod – Quezon City Hall), Brgy. Josefa (Banawe E. Rod – Morayta), Brgy. Immaculate Conception (Cubao – Welcome Rotonda), Brgy. Santol (Santol, Casiana, LRT – Araneta, Quezon Ave), Brgy. San Isidro Galas (Bluementrit, España – City Hall), and Brgy. Kaligayahan (North Olympus – Quezon City Hall).
The Quezon City Police District also provided free trips to stranded commuters at Commonwealth from Philcoa to MRT Quezon Ave.
The Manila Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office and the Manila Police District Station also gave free trips to stranded commuters at various areas in the Philippine capitol affected by the transport strike.
In response to the nationwide transport strike, the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board allowed the deployment of additional bus units in the following routes:
- LETRE Malabon via Samson Road to Monumento, Caloocan
- Valenzuela via McArthur Highway, Rizal Avenue Avenida to Manila
- 5th Avenue via Rizal Avenue Avenida to Manila
- Monumento via McArthur Highway to Malanday, Valenzuela
- Monumento via Samson Road to Navotas
- C3 Dagat-Dagatan via C3 Road to East Bound (going to 5th Avenue)
- 5th Avenue via C3 Road to South-North Bound
- Marikina via Marcos Highway to Angono, Rizal
- Marikina via Aurora Blvd to Cubao
- Marikina via Manghan to Pasig
- Taft via JP Rizal to Guadalupe
- Taft via Pedro Gil to Sta Ana
- Quezon Avenue via España Quezon Blvd to Quiapo
- RMB via V Mapa to Plaza Avelino
- Baclaran via Dr A Santos to Sucat
- EDSA via Taft Avenue to Manila and Quezon City
- EDSA Heritage via Osmeña Highway to FTI & Alabang
- Parañaque via Quirino, Don Galo Las Piñas, Zapote
- Technohub via Commonwealth LITEX Fairview
- PHILCOA via EDSA to Monumento
- Commonwealth via EDSA to Cubao
- Guadalupe via Kalayaan C5 to C5 Taguig
- Guadalupe via EDSA Cubao and Monumento
- Guadalupe via JP Rizal Extension to Pasig
- Guadalupe via Buendia Gil Puyat to EDSA Taft
- Santolan via EDSA to Monumento
- Santolan via EDSA to Makati
- Santolan via EDSA to EDSA Taft
- Novaliches via Gen Luis to Dela Rosa
- Dela Rosa via Mc Arthur Malinta
- HK Staging Parañaque via Quirino Don Galo Las Pinas, Zapote
- Robinson’s Fairview via Quirino to Balintawak
Outside of Metro Manila, the LGUs of Cebu City and Iloilo City in Visayas also sent out government vehicles to provide free rides for stranded passengers.
Local Government units and various universities have suspended classes for Monday because of the nationwide transport strike conducted by transport groups in protest of the government’s jeepney modernization program.
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority also suspended the number-coding scheme for public utility vehicles to alleviate the effects of the transport strike.