The Independent Bishops Conference of the Philippines (IBP) announced on Wednesday, May 8 their endorsement of 12 candidates vying for senatorial post in the 2019 midterm polls.
In a statement, IBCP stated that they “boldly supports President Rodrigo Roa Duterte’s leadership” and is driven to continue working with him. The following senators were selected by the Bishops to endorse for the upcoming polls:
- Former Presidential aide Christopher “Bong” Go
- Ilocos Norte Gov. Imee Marcos
- Former police general Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa
- Senator JV Ejercito
- Senator Nancy Binay
- Senator Cynthia Villar
- Senator Koko Pimentel
- Former Senator Bong Revilla
- Former Senator Pia Cayetano
- Opposition candidate Bam Aquino
- Former DILG Secretary Mar Roxas
- Former Presidential Adviser on Political Affairs Francis Tolentino
At least 10 of the candidates chosen belong to Duterte’s Hugpong ng Pagbabago, while Aquino and Roxas belong to Otso Diretso.
According to IBP, the following senators were selected according to the standards of the Bishops as they are seen to work closely for our country through leadership and vision of President Duterte.
They also added that the track records of the 12 candidates “prove their capacity to work closely for the transformation of the country” and that “their attitude speaks so much of their individuality” which was enough for the Bishops and the other members of the IBP to choose them.
“We select some for the check and balance of our country’s interests,” IBP stated.