The Provincial Bus Operators Association of the Philippines said that the Department of Transportation (DOTr) failed to consult the group regarding the route rationalization program.
“Dapat yung mga ganitong pagbabago, lalo ng napakalaking pagbabago, maraming mawawalan ng trapaho, maraming madidisplace na mga kababayan natin, dapat ito ay pinag-uusapan,”said Alex Yague Jr., executive director of the group, on Monday, July 13, during DZRH’s Coffee Break.
DOTr road sector senior consultant Alberto Suansing earlier said that only high-capacity public utility vehicles, including buses and trains, will operate in main thoroughfares of the National Capital Region as part of route rationalization program.
Suansing said that public utility jeepneys (PUJs) that previously operate along the main thoroughfares will be relegated to ‘feeder routes’.
However, Orlando Marquez, national president of the Liga ng Transportasyon at Operators sa Pilipinas (LTOP), opposed the change, and insisted that the DOTr allow the members of his transport group to operate in their previous routes.
Yague said that the route rationalization program also affected bus operators since it shortened their routes in Metro Manila.
“Ang ginawa nung LTFRB (Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board) doon sa rationalization program nila, pinutol-putol nila yung linya,” Yague explained.