Nation

DOJ chief slams claims of Sanchez’ family; says no release order for the convicted rapist-murderer

Former Calauan Mayor Antonio Sanchez is the suspect in the 1993 rape-slay victim Eileen Sarmenta and the brutal killing of Allan Sanchez, both students of University of the Philippines (UP) Los Baños. (FILE PHOTO)

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra confirmed on Tuesday that there is no release order signed for convicted rapist-murderer former Calauan Mayor Antonio Sanchez.

“I have been informed that BuCor chief (Nicanor) Faeldon denied having signed a release order for Sanchez,” Guevarra said in a statement, adding that the Department of Justice (DOJ) did not receive any report regarding the matter.

The statement came after the family of Sanchez claimed that the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) has issued a release order for him.

Earlier this week, President Rodrigo Roa Duterte ordered Guevarra and Faeldon not to release Sanchez following news of his impending release as stated under Republic Act No. 10592.

“Pinaabot niya (Duterte) kila BuCor chief Faeldon at Secretary Guevarra na hindi maaaring marelease ‘yan (si Sanchez),” Go said in a chance interview on Monday, August 26 during the celebration of the National Heroes Day in Taguig City.

READ: Prez Duterte orders DOJ, BuCor not to release rape-murder convict Antonio Sanchez

Sanchez, a former mayor of Calauan, Laguna, was sentenced in 1995 to 7 counts of reclusion perpetua or 40 years imprisonment over the 1993 rape-slay of University of the Philippines-Los Baños (UPLB) students Eileen Sarmenta and the murder of Allan Gomez.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*