Top Stories

DOH declares measles outbreak in Metro; Binay asks, ‘Anyare?’

dzrhnews-measles

The Department of Health declared a measles outbreak, and said it would continue to peak come summer, likewise, Senator Nancy Binay asked the agency a million dollar question: ‘Anyare?’

DOH statistics show measles cases already reached 1,724 from January 1 to December 14, 2013. Of these cases, 21 already died.

Health Undersecretary Eric Tayag said this outbreak would last until summer season.

Meanwhile, Binay will file a resolution this week seeking to review the government’s immunization programs amid the measles outbreak.

Binay expressed belief that the DOH has failed to meet its target of eliminating all measles cases since it launched “Ligtas Tigdas” measles immunization program in 2008.

“The billion peso question here is, ‘Anyare?’ What happened to the vaccines the government bought in the last 15 years? Nagamit ba ang mga ito? Nag-expire na lang ba? Ilang mga bata ang napabakunahan? Bakit walang follow-up? Sino bang mga ahensya ang katulong ng DOH dito?” Binay said in a statement over the weekend.

She said she wants to find out if the DOH exerted all its efforts to coordinate its anti-measles program.

So far, nine National Capital Region (NCR) districts have most of the measles cases which include Quiapo, Sampaloc, Tondo, Binondo, Sta. Cruz and Sta. Mesa in Manila as well as Dagat-dagatan and Bagong Barrio in Caloocan City.

As response to the outbreak, the DOH launched a nationwide vaccination drive to prevent and control the outbreak from spreading.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*