Top Stories

Binay still has Aquino’s trust—Palace

dzrhnews-aquino-binay
President Benigno Aquino III and Vice President Jejomar Binay

Amid allegations from a lawmaker that he is a two-faced opponent from the opposition, President Benigno Aquino III still trusts Vice President Jejomar Binay, Malacañang said on Sunday.

“The President has full trust and confidence in members of his Cabinet, including Vice President Binay,” Communications Secretary Sonny Coloma said.

Last week, Caloocan City Rep. Edgar Erice, a Liberal Party member identified with Interior Secretary Mar Roxas, blasted Binay in his privilege speech for being in two sides of the fences while still remaining as a Cabinet member of Aquino.

Binay serves as housing czar and presidential adviser on overseas Filipino workers’ affairs.

The Vice President and Roxas are expected to run for presidency in the 2016 polls.

Malacañang, however, distanced itself with Erice’s statement.

“A privilege speech is a right of every lawmaker. We respect Rep. Erice’s use of this right. The Office of the President has no participation in his decision to deliver such speech,” Coloma said.

The Palace respects Erice’s personal sentiments against Binay, he said.

United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) secretary-general and Navotas Rep. Toby Tiangco had earlier slammed Erice for attacking Binay.

Tiangco said that Binay has been loyal not only to the President but to the entire Aquino clan.

He said Binay was performing well in his job as vice president and member of the Cabinet.

Tiangco advised Erice to instead turn his attention on Cabinet members who are not doing their work.

“Why do you have to call for the resignation of a government official, a Cabinet member, with the highest approval and trust ratings? This means that the people are happy with his work,” Tiangco said.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*