Former Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) board member Roberto Salvador named on Wednesday, August 14, seven individuals allegedly part of the ‘mafia’ inside the state health insurance agency.
The individuals allegedly part of the PhilHealth mafia include:
- Paolo Johan Perez, the Regional vice president of the PhilHealth Regional Office MIMAROPA;
- Khaliquzzaman Macabato, the Regional vice president of PhilHealth Regional Office Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao;
- William Chavez, Regional vice president of the PhilHealth Regional Office Central Visayas
- Dennis Adre, Regional vice president of PhilHealth Regional Office SOCCSKSARGEN
- Masiding Alonto Jr., Regional vice president of PhilHealth Regional Office Northern Mindanao
- Valerie Holler, assistant corporate secretary of PhilHealth
- Jelbert Galicto, legal officer of PhilHealth Regional Office CARAGA
Salvador said that the alleged members of the PhilHealth mafia use their influence to resist being transferred to another office because of the rampant ‘ghost claims’ in their current area of jurisdiction.
“Based on the definition sir, they have influence with government officials,” Salvador said during the hearing of the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee.
Salvador added that the said ‘mafia’ also bragged that they used their influence to oust former Department of Health Sec. Paulyn Ubial, and PhilHealth board member Dr. Celestina Dela Serna as interim president and chief executive officer of the state health insurance agency.
Incumbent PhilHealth president Ricardo Morales suspects that the seven officials, who were all present during the Senate hearing, to be part of the so-called ‘Mindanao Group’ in the agency who resist rotation.
Holler, meanwhile, finds it unfair to be tagged as a member of the PhilHealth mafia. He also pointed out that he testified during a hearing of the House Committee on Good Government And Public Accountability in 2017 concerning fraudulent activities inside the agency.