Nation

41,600 cops to be deployed for Undas

pork-barrel-protesting-people-7
These activists are not against the pork barrel but are protesting people’s habit of turning cemeteries into pigpens during All Saints’ Day. The rallyists, led by the Ecowaste Coalition at the Manila North Cemetery yesterday, urged the people to observe ‘cemetiquette’ by picking up their trash during visits to cemeteries. Story on Page 7. EDD GUMBAN

At total of 41,600 policemen will be deployed in cemeteries, terminals, major roads and vital installations nationwide to ensure peace and order during All Saints’ Day.

In press briefing yesterday, Interior and Local Government Secretary Manuel Roxas II said the entire Philippine National Police (PNP) would be on full alert starting Oct. 30. It would remain until Nov. 3 when people who flock to cemeteries and provinces are expected to return to Manila.

Roxas said each of the 17 police regional offices would deploy at least 4,034 policemen.

The National Capital Region Police Office will deploy 4,278 policemen, with 2,595 concentrated in cemeteries in Metro Manila.

About 14,000 policemen in the metropolis will be manning their regular posts and patrol around residential areas to prevent burglary, as many families are out on vacation.

The Southern Police District will also be providing security at 13 bus terminals, four airports, 20 shopping malls and stations of the Light Rail Transit and the Metro Rail Transit within the district’s area of coverage.

“We hope that the situation will be generally peaceful. To date there is no monitored threat reported,” Roxas said.

Last year, eight incidents were recorded nationwide from Oct. 31 to Nov. 2.

Erap: Manila gov’t ready

The city government of Manila is also ready for the observance of All Saints’ Day.

“The North and South cemeteries are now clean. Security preparations have already been made by the city government and the Manila Police District (MPD). Vendors will be regulated,” Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada told The STAR.

Doctors, nurses and ambulances will also be deployed in cemeteries in Manila to give first aid and other assistance should visiting families need medical assistance.

The management of the North Cemetery earlier said that families have until Oct. 29 to clean the tombs of their departed relatives.

The North Cemetery will start tightening security on Oct. 30 in anticipation of the bulk of people who will pay their respects to their departed loved ones. Private cars will no longer be allowed to enter the cemetery starting Oct. 30.

Estrada advised families going to cemeteries not to bring weapons and liquor to prevent them from being apprehended, fined and jailed. Sound systems are also prohibited.

“From Oct. 30 to Nov. 1, drinking of liquor will be strictly prohibited in cemeteries in Manila. We want the observance of Undas orderly and clean. We have made the complete information drive already to guide those families who will visit their departed relatives,” Estrada added.

Rerouting in Parañaque

The Parañaque City government, meanwhile, announced rerouting and safety plans along its major roads from Oct. 31 to Nov. 2 as the largest private cemeteries in the metropolis are in this city.

Parañaque City administrator Fernando Soriano said the rerouting scheme would be implemented starting at 6 p.m. on Oct. 31 until Nov. 2. The Philippine Star

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*