At least 13 areas in northern Luzon have been hoisted to Tropical Cyclone Warning Signal No.2 as Tropical Storm “Pepito” moves west-northwestward before its expected evening landfall over the coast of Aurora-Isabela, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said Tuesday.
In its latest weather bulletin, PAGASA said the following areas are under Signal No. 2:
- La Union
- Nueva Vizcaya
- Nueva Ecija
- The southern portion of Isabela (Palanan, San Mariano, Benito Soliven, Naguilian, Gamu, Burgos, San Manuel, Aurora, Cabatuan, Luna,Reina Mercedes, Cauayan City, Dinapigue, San Guillermo, Angadanan, Alicia, San Mateo, Ramon, San Isidro, Echague, San Agustin, Jones, Santiago City, Cordon)
- The southern portion of Ilocos Sur (Sugpon, Alilem, Tagudin)
- The northern portion of Zambales (Iba, Palauig, Masinloc, Candelaria, Santa Cruz, Botolan, Cabangan)
- The northern portion of Quezon (General Nakar)
Meanwhile, Signal No. 1 has been raised in the following areas:
- Mountain Province
- Metro Manila
- The northern portion of Camarines Norte (Paracale, Jose Panganiban, Capalonga, Vinzons)
- The rest of the northern portion of Quezon (Infanta, Real)
- The rest of Zambales
Pepito has intensified into a tropical storm at 8 AM on Tuesday and is forecasted to intensify to “severe tropical storm” after crossing the landmass of Luzon by Thursday, October 22.
The weather disturbance will bring moderate to heavy rains over Bicol Region, MIMAROPA, Quezon, Aurora, Nueva Ecija, Nueva Vizcaya, Quirino, Isabela, mainland Cagayan, Pangasinan, and Benguet. Meanwhile, light to moderate with at times heavy rains will be experienced over Metro Manila and the rest of Luzon, Western Visayas, Zamboanga Peninsula, and Bangsamoro.
Flooding (including flash floods) and rain-induced landslides may occur during heavy or prolonged rainfall especially in areas that are highly or very highly susceptible to these hazards, as per PAGASA.
The state weather bureau said high to gale-force winds will be experienced in areas under Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal (TCWS) #1 and 2. High to gale-force winds with occasional gusts due to the northeasterly surface wind flow will be experienced over Batanes, Babuyan Islands, and the coastal and/or mountainous areas of mainland Cagayan, Apayao, and Ilocos Norte.
A gale warning is also in effect over the seaboards of Batanes, Cagayan, and Ilocos Norte and due to rough to very rough seas.
As of 1 PM, the eye of Tropical Storm “Pepito” was last seen at 195 km East of Baler, Aurora, and is moving northwestward at 25 km/h with maximum sustained winds of 65 km/h near the center and gustiness of up to 80 km/h.