President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday greeted some 150 overseas Filipino workers (OFW) who enlisted in the government’s repatriation program from Kuwait.
During the President’s speech at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal one, he assured cash assistance and job opportunities that the government will provide to the returning OFWs.
“We are here to see to it that every Filipino is treated decently,” he said.
Speaking to the Filipino workers, Duterte expressed the government’s willingness to give land to those interested in agriculture as well as opening the Department of Labor and Employment’s (DOLE) livelihood program for the OFWs.
Duterte further assured the OFWs of the government’s substantial resources in supplying their needs as they return to their individual’s homes.
“So huwag na kayong bumalik doon. Iyong iba naman na who had a nightmare there, better come home,” he added.
During the same speech, Duterte noted the government’s effort to generate more jobs in the country by encouraging foreign businesses to come to the Philippines.
Administrator Hans Leo Cacdac of the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) on Monday told DZRH that their office has already crafted the “Balik Pilipinas, Balik Hanapbuhay” program made to financially assist the returning workers.
Duterte also expressed his thanks to the Philippine Airlines and Cebu Pacific for offering their free airfare to the OFWs.
“I’d like to just say to Mr. Lucio Tan and the Gokongwei family, si Lance. In behalf of our countrymen—salamat po and I will remember you for all time,” the President said.
Previously, the President announced a complete ban on OFW deployment to Kuwait due to the discovery of the body of an OFW trapped in a freezer.
Meanwhile, Kuwait’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Sabah al-Khalid al-Sabah condemned the call of President Duterte saying that his move could damage ties between the two countries.