Three years after their initial fight, Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao hinted of a possible rematch in December.
In an Instagram post on Saturday, September 15, Mayweather announced that he will be coming out of retirement in order to have a second bout with Pacquiao.
“I’m coming back to fight Manny Pacquiao this year. Another 9 figure pay day on the way,” the undefeated American fighter said in his Instagram post that also showed a video of him speaking to Pacquiao during a concert in Tokyo, Japan.
In the video, Mayweather was heard saying ‘I’m coming back in December’ while the the 40-year old Filipino champion pointed out that he currently holds the WBA (regular) welterweight belt.
The 41-year old American boxer, who has a win-loss record of 50-0, also said that he does not want Pacquiao making an excuse that he hurt his shoulder.
During the 2015 bout billed as ‘The Fight of The Century’, Mayweather, who held the Unified WBA, WBC, The Ring welterweight belts, won against Pacquiao, who held the WBO welterweight belt, via unanimous decision.
However, the results of the fight became controversial after the camp of Pacquiao disclosed that the Filipino fighter injured his shoulder while training.
Meanwhile, Pacquiao also posted a similar video in his Twitter account and captioned it with ’50-1 #NoExcuses’.
“I’m gonna take it (belt) from you like I took it before,” Mayweather was heard saying in both videos.
“December, I think I need to make that comeback,” the American fighter added in an extra footage seen in the video posted by Pacquiao.
Previously, Pacquiao already said that he plans to have his next fight on December but has yet to disclose other details, including the identity of his next opponent and the venue.