The name of convicted plunderer and alleged mastermind in the infamous PDAF scam Janet Lim Napoles is included in the list of inmates eligible for early release under the Good Conduct Time Allowance (GCTA) law since 2014.
According to reports, Napoles was charged guilty of rape instead of plunder and was among the 2,160 convicts serving time for heinous crimes but released on good conduct time allowance under the 2013 law.
Under the said list, the convicted plunderer was freed on November 12, 2018, due to “expiration of sentence,” however, there are no details provided on when the crime was committed and when she was convicted and sentenced.
The list also showed names of the four convicts involved in the murder of Chiong sisters and four Chinese drug lords.
Napoles is currently being held at the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) detention cell in Bicutan, Taguig City. She has been convicted in a plunder case involving Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. and is still facing several graft charges along with the senator in connection with the pork barrel scam. Meanwhile, Revilla has been acquitted of plunder.
The Court of Appeals acquitted her in 2017 in the serious illegal detention case filed by pork barrel scam whistleblower Benhur Luy.
In a statement, the Department of Justice (DOJ) said that the BuCor is “prepared to answer” the questions involving the inclusion of Napoles’ on the said list.
Earlier this month, Sandiganbayan rejected the assertions of Napoles, who stated that the plunder charges against her are invalid since the government prosecutors failed to identify the main plunderer, saying that there is no need for it.
In a three page decision, the anti-graft court stated that Napoles’ co-accused former Senator Jinggoy Estrada is obviously the mastermind or main plunderer in the Php 183-million plunder case in connection with the pork barrel scam since he was then a public officer.