Nation

GLOBE issues official statement on entry of 3rd telco player

(photo credit: Globe Telecom)

Globe Telecoms, one of the leading telecommunication providers in the country has issued its official statement in connection with the impending entry of a third telco provider.

Based on their statement, Globe said that it welcomes the entry of a new telco challenger.  This will serve as a healthy competitive environment wherein at the end of the day, the consumers will benefit immensely.

The statement also said that with the impending arrival of a new telco provider, consumers will have more choices when it comes to services and offered products.

“Globe General Counsel Froilan Castelo quipped, “We are glad for the smooth selection process undertaken by DICT and NTC.”

On Wednesday, the National Telecommunications Commission opened its first round of screening for the country’s third potential telco player that will go up against Globe and PLDT Inc.

Only the team of Davao tycoon Denny Uy’s Udenna Corp and China Telecom’s Mislatel consortium made it to the screening.

NTC has disqualified some companies including SEAR Telecom owned by former Ilocos Sur Governor Luis ‘Chavit’ Singson.

Some telco companies however, after submitting their proposals opted to back out due to the alleged high demands of NTC.

Here is the complete statement of Globe Telecom:

“Globe Telecom welcomes the new telco challenger which is seen to help foster a healthy com-petitive environment and ultimately benefit consumers. The new player has the potential of opening up new sources of revenue streams for telcos while providing consumers with more innovative products and services, the company said.

“We are glad for the smooth selection process undertaken by DICT and NTC. As previously and continuously stated, we hope the government will equally support the existing telcos like Globe, which continue to provide services to millions of Filipinos, and in the case of Globe, over 67 mil-lion total subscribers,” said Globe General Counsel Froilan Castelo.

To help foster competition, Globe took a step forward to fulfill its plans to divest its tower as-sets. It has started the process of incorporating a separate tower holding company. This initia-tive will allow the third player to rapidly roll out its network and launch commercial operations. It will also give smaller players the opportunity to scale up their business without the burden of high capital expenditures.”– end

 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*