The Department of Social Welfare and Development on Sunday, October 7 paid tribute and recognized “Sampung Ulirang Nakatatanda” or SUN awardees at the SSS Auditorium.
The Sampung Ulirang Nakatatanda (SUN) 2018 awardees are:
- Manuel A. Abinales, 70, San Mateo, Rizal
- Junior M. Macatunao, also known as Bakleg Danyol, 78, Malita, Davao Occidental
- Jeremiah T. Octavio, 81, Hinob-an, Negros Occidental
- Peter Gonzales, 74, Gumaca, Quezon
- Arturo L. Apora, 71, Bulacan
- Lydia Calipos, 71, Caloocan City
- Carmen C. Deunida, 90, Malate, Manil
- youngest daughter of Siagon M. Calatao, 106, Malaptan, Sarangani
- Domiciano Ybanez, 79, Alcoy, Cebu
- Sister Mary James Wilson, 85, Quezon City.
The SUN Awards was the culminating activity of Elderly Filipino Week led by the DSWD.
Since its inception, the SUN Awards has recognized 270 unsung older person heroes who have made a difference to the lives of many and have given exemplary service to their communities. Most of them are farmers, indigenous peoples, women, persons with disabilities, and human rights, advocates.