Department of Tourism (DOT) Asec. Ricky Alegre has resigned from his office due to ‘unforeseen circumstances’ within the agency.
In his letter dated May 15, Alegre said that he resigned in order to give President Rodrigo Duterte and new Tourism Sec. Bernadette Romulo Puyat ‘a free hand to determine who would be allowed to continue to serve in the said department’.
Alegre added that he has took the mandate of DOT to heart and that he tried to serve the agency to ‘the best of his abilities’ since his appointment in 2016.
Previously, Puyat was reported to have appealed for the courtesy resignation of the assistant secretaries, and undersecretaries of her predecessor former DOT Sec. Wanda Tulfo-Teo.
Based on report, the new Tourism chief said that she was given ‘a free hand’ by Duterte to appoint her own assistant secretaries and undersecretaries.
Puyat replaced Teo as DOT secretary after the latter tendered her resignation due to issues regarding the Php 60 million worth advertisement deal between the Tourism agency and the state owned television network People’s Television Network (PTV-4).
The Commission on Audit discovered that advertisements covered by the agreement were aired in the program of Teo’s siblings, Ben Tulfo and Erwin Tulfo, who are block-timers in the station.