With the continuous measle outbreak in the country, the Department of Health (DOH) is now eyeing for the possibility of mandatory vaccination for all children.
According to Health Secretary Francisco Duque III, some policy interventions may be needed to ensure the protection of children against vaccine-preventable illnesses. He said there is an existing executive order issued by the former president and now Speaker Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo in 2007 that requires the immunization of children before they enter elementary and pre-school.
However, Duque said that the government should seriously consider mandatory vaccination of children following the outbreak of measles in the National Capital Region (NCR), Central Luzon, Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, and Quezon), and Central and Western Visayas.
He said the main target for vaccination this time was measles because it was very contagious and could quickly spread.
Earlier, the DOH confirmed a measles outbreak after the number rose by 550 percent or 196 cases of measles in Metro Manila from Jan. 1 to Feb. 6 this year compared to 20 cases recorded in the same period last year.