Nation

DFA: Filipino MERS victims now at 3

dzrhnews-dfa-spokesman-jose
Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) spokesman Charles Jose

Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose on Monday said that the Department of Foreign Affairs is still confirming the death of a Filipina nurse who died due to the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome-Corona Virus recently.

“The DFA is still confirming the recent death of a Filipino who died in Saudi Arabia. The total deaths of Filipinos due to MERS virus in Saudi Arabia, including the one last year, is at three,” Jose told dzRH in an interview.

Jose said the DFA is still discussing with the family of the Filipina regarding her remains but assured that the embassy in Riyadh will extend full assistance.

“The Filipina’s remains are still subject to discussion with her family. Lahat ng possible assistance ay i-eextend,” he added.

The DFA spokesman also advised Filipinos in Saudi Arabia to take necessary precautions and coordinate with officials to prevent acquiring the fatal disease.“Mataas na ang incidents ng MERS virus. Sa mga Pilipinong nandun sa Saudi Arabia, magtake po tayo ng necessary precautions pag nagpapalabas ng advisory ang ating embassy.”

MERS belongs to the coronavirus family that includes the common cold and SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, which caused some 800 deaths globally in 2003. There is no vaccine or treatment for MERS. It is still unclear how it is transmitted.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*