The Department of Education (DepEd) and the Davao City government have signed a memorandum of agreement (MOA) on Monday, April 8, for the hosting of the 2019 Palarong Pambansa.
The MOA, signed by DepEd Sec. Leonor Briones and Davao city mayor Sara Duterte – Carpio, dictates the the duties and responsibilities of the education department and the local government unit for the said sports event.
Davao City will cooperate with their Schools Division Office and DepEd – Davao Region for the hosting of the 2019 Palarong Pambansa, with the theme ‘Shaping the Future Through Sports’, from April 27 to May 4.
Under the agreement officially signed at the Davao City hall, the duties and responsibilities of DepEd include:
- Coordination with Davao City for the necessary security provisions and measures, transportation and communications provisions, and other requirements for the event including the playing venues and billeting quarters for the regional delegations and national technical officials;
- Receiving of donations from any third party that shall include, but not be limited to, services, equipment, and financial assistance that will support the operation or that will be utilized for the event, subject to the existing laws, rules and regulations, and properly communicated to Davao City prior to finalization;
- Conducting technical inspection and monitoring the readiness of the sports facilities and billeting quarters in coordination with the City host;
- Supply the standard technical equipment, materials, and supplies needed for the different sports events according to the specifications prescribed by the Palaro Technical Management and Games Administration Committee;
- And provide technical and funding assistance in the preparation, repair, and rehabilitation of billeting schools for the event.
Meanwhile, the tasks of the Davao City local government for the multi-sports event include:
- Create and convene the Local Palaro Executive Committee and Secretariat, as well as other working committees that may be necessary for the hosting of the Palarong Pambansa;
- Facilitate the sourcing of funds for the necessary expenses for the event, specifically those for construction and renovation of sports facilities, billeting quarters, and other infrastructural requirements of the Palaro host;
- Ensure accessibility to public transportation and communication in all playing venues and billeting quarters in coordination with the proper national government agency, if necessary;
- Guarantee that all roads leading to all billeting quarters and playing venues are well maintained, in coordination with the Department of Public Works and Highways;
- Provide roving and on-call medical/first aid personnel for the duration of the Palaro;
- And provide round-the-clock Philippine National Police (PNP)/Armed Forces of the Philippine (AFP) and force multipliers to ensure peace, order, and security of all billeting areas, playing venues, and establishments frequented by delegations.
In 2018, Briones announced that the bid of Davao City for the hosting of the 2019 Palarong Pambansa won against Zamboanga Del Sur, and Misamis Occidental.
The premier national sporting event, which will be held in Davao City this year, will introduce two new side events: Larong Pinoy and the Sports Heroes Day, which will be held on April 28.
Larong Pinoy, also known as the Philippine Indigenous Games, will be managed by DepEd – Davao Region.
The event seeks to strengthen and revive the traditional Pinoy games such as kadang-kadang, patintero, hilahang lubid, and karera ng sako, which will be played by executive committee members, and sports officials of DepEd, local government unit (LGU) representatives, and sports icons.
The DepEd-Youth Formation Division and SDO Davao City, meanwhile, will handle the Sports Heroes Day that will provide an opportunity for young athletes to personally interact with their sports idols and icons.