Nation

Ceasefire with communist group shortened to 8 days

File Photo

Instead of the previously announced December 24 to January 2 ceasefire with the communist group, Malacañang said that it will shorten it by just eight days.

According to Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, they will be cutting the ceasefire with the Communist Party of the Philippines and the New People’s Army (CPP-NPA) from Dec. 23 at 6 p.m. until Dec. 26, 6 p.m.

The truce will again recommence on Dec. 30 at 6 p.m. until Jan. 2, 2018 still at 6 p.m.

On Thursday, Malacañang said that the unilateral ceasefire declared by President Rodrigo Duterte was for the sake of the Filipinos.

“The President himself declared in Aguinaldo, he wanted the people to have less to worry about and that is why he implemented or he will implement this ceasefire,” Roque said.

During a media briefing at the Palace, Roque extended the President’s hope that the CPP-NPA would respect the ceasefire and halt attacks against the government.

“He’s hopeful but if not, then it will prove what he has been saying all along that the NPA are treacherous. So the ball is in the court of the NPA,” he added.

 

 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*