Lifestyle & Entertainment

Bigbang’s Seungri announces retirement from entertainment industry amid controversy

South Korean boyband Bigbang’s maknae Seungri announced his retirement from the entertainment industry on Monday following reports of his involvement in the ‘Burning Sun’ controversy.

On March 11, Seungri uploaded a letter to his personal Instagram account, thanking his fans for the 10 years of support and announcing his retirement from the entertainment agency.

“I feel like it is best from me to retire from the entertainment business at this point,” he said in his post.

The message reads as follows:

“This is Seungri.

At this moment, it seems like it would be good for me to retire from the entertainment industry. I’ve decided to retire from the entertainment industry because of the huge social controversy that has arisen. I am under investigation, and I will receive investigation with sincerity so that the building suspicions can be revealed.

During the past month and a half, I have received criticism and hate from the public and been in a situation where every investigative agency in this country is investigating me. I just cannot accept causing pain to those around me just for my sake.

I would like to sincerely thank all of the fans both in and out of Korea who have shown me love for the past ten years. For the sake and honor of Big Bang and YG, [my career is] ending here.

I would like to apologize one more time.

Thank you for everything throughout the years.”

View this post on Instagram

승리입니다 제가 이시점에서 연예계를 은퇴를하는것이 좋을거같습니다. 사회적 물의를 일으킨 사안이 너무나 커 연예계 은퇴를 결심했습니다 수사중인 사안에 있어서는 성실하게 조사를 받아 쌓인 모든 의혹을 밝히도록 하겠습니다. 지난 한달반동안 국민들로부터 질타받고 미움받고 지금 국내 모든 수사기관들이 저를 조사하고 있는 상황에서 국민역적 으로까지 몰리는 상황인데 저 하나 살자고 주변 모두에게 피해주는일은 도저히 제스스로가 용납이 안됩니다 지난 10여 년간 많은 사랑을 베풀어준 국내외 많은 팬분들께 모든 진심을 다해 감사드리며 와이지와 빅뱅 명예를 위해서라도 저는 여기까지인거같습니다 다시한번 죄송하고 또 죄송합니다 그동안 모든분들께 감사했습니다

A post shared by @ seungriseyo on

Seungri, 29, is currently under investigation for allegedly brokering prostitution for investors and has been booked without physical detention by police. The investigation took off after a media report showed a group chat via a mobile messenger between the K-pop star and people who appear to be his employees, who were taking his orders to procure sexual favors.

Other allegations surrounding Seungri also include suspicion that frequent drug use occurred at Burning Sun, the nightclub where the singer had been an executive director, and that club officials have bribed the police.

Seungri himself has been cleared of drug use via a recent drug test.

However, after allegations surfaced, Seungri announced he wanted to enlist for his mandatory military service on March 25. But police said the investigation will not be hindered by his status as a conscripted soldier.

National Police Agency Commissioner General Min Gap-ryong told reporters Monday that his officers would not quit on the investigations, and would seek cooperation from the Ministry of National Defense to get to the bottom of the case.

 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*