Nation

Authorities close down 50 year old Otis bridge; replacement in the works

Photo Credits: facebook.com/mmdaspokesperson

The Otis bridge in Manila needs ‘a total replacement’ after developing cracks along the median strip on June 25

Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) South Manila District Engr. Mike Macud confirmed that the 50-year old Otis bridge is ‘beyond repairable’, which needs to be demolished and replaced with a new bridge.

According to Macud, the ‘total replacement’ is estimated to be completed after a year, or about 12 months.

Isang taon ang hiningi ko sa MMDA (Metropolitan Manila Development Authority) to complete the project,” Macud said during DZRH’s Breaktime.

Hindi naman kasi madaling gumawa ng bridge at karamihan sa ating mga bridges ay ginagawa iyan 18 months or two years. Ito ay total replacement. Hindi siya repair, total replacement,” Macud added.

The DPWH official believes that the cracks in the Otis bridge are caused by age, and while currently only light vehicle are allowed to use the bridge, overloaded trucks previously passed through it.

Macud also admitted that since its’ construction, the Otis bridge was never repaired.

The engineer explained that they had a major inspection between the years 2013 – 2014, during which bridge engineers recommended that Otis bridge undergo prime repairs, and funds were released in 2015 and 2016.

However, the repairs were not implemented since the construction of the Metro Manila Skyway Tramo in President Quirino Avenue was prioritized.

Nung 2013, 2014 nagkaroon tayo ng major inspection at ni-rekomenda iyan ng ating mga bridge engineer na pondahan at kumpinahin,” Macud said.

Supposed to be, matagal na nating ginawa iyan but unfortunately iyon yung panahon, pagkakataon, na meron mas priority na gawin yung mga PPP (public-private partnership) projects at saka bigyan ng priority concern yung President Quirino,” Macud added.

Based on previous biddings, Macud expects that the total construction cost for the total replacement of Otis Bridge will amount to around Php 33.5 million.

Nung nag-bid kami nung 2015, December, ang pera na inallow sa amin is Php 22 million, partial construction of the bridge. Nung 2016, dinagdagan ng Php 15 million so yung total Php 37 million,” Macud explained.

Nung bidding, kapag pinag-sama ninyo yung dalawa nasa Php 33.5 million na lang kasi meron competitive bidding na ginawa natin,” Macud added.

Due to the cracks along the median strip and due to the recommendation of the Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council, the MMDA closed Otis Bridge and advised motorists to take alternate routes.

For vehicles coming from Nagtahan Bridge, go straight to South Super Highway, make a right turn to Zamora, and turn left at Presidential Quirino Extension until you reach your destination.

For vehicles coming from South Super Highway, turn left to Plaza Dilao to President Quirino Extension, go straight to United Nations Avenue, make a right turn at Romualdez, and turn right at Ayala Bridge until you reach your destination.

One Comment

  1. Pingback: Otis Bridge in Manila reopened months ahead of schedule after rehabilitation - Interaksyon

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*